It’s all about capacity! Today I can do more than I could 20 years ago. It is true that in some areas my capacity may be less than it was 20 years ago. Im not sure I’m as strong, I’m not as fit but overall I would have to say my capacity is far greater than it was. I hear many people who seem to have a vision of their life somehow fizzling out, dying off like a sparkler on bonfire night. That’s not a biblical picture. Our outward man may decay but inwardly, Paul says, we are being renewed day by day. In other words your tank should be enlarging, your capacity increasing.
Hurts, offences, unforgiveness, disappointment, betrayal all things our biblical heros faced have the potential to reduce our capacity tank size but that is not the will of God. oh no, God sees you larger, stronger, fitter, inwardly renewed. More effective, more relevant, more relational. God had to teach Moses how to increase his personal capacity to lead and fulfill his destiny. Here are some God lessons on increasing your capacity from Exodus 18.
1. Be Teachable: Ex 18:17-18. Moses has lead the people through the Red Sea but he still took the wisdom of Jethro on board. Don’t think look what I’ve done, think what can I learn.
2. Listen: Ex 18:19-24. It’s one thing to hear it’s another to listen and heed. People often hear but listeners do so with a commitment to change. Moses changed what he was doing! Don’t live life without reflection. Look back through your notes, what did God say? What did you do?
3. Pray: Ex 18:19 Nuff said. Ok not enough, talk to God mate…
4. Read: Ex 18:21-25 Some people read books which is good, but also read people and situations. Find the people that have your best interests a heart and connect, even the lone-ranger had tonto (sorry).
5. Release people: Ex 18:27. Release the people in your world, empower them to make a huge difference and impact, release them into their destiny.
My prayer for any leader reading this blog is that we would increase our capacity.